5.24.2008

I love you Earl. (A final goodbye)

Sometimes when your phone rings, you know it's not going to be good news.

Even though I left Minnesota, I still got text messages from friends and kept in contact with them.

I just got a call a few minutes ago, as soon as I saw the name, I knew exactly how the conversation was going to go before I even picked up the phone.

Earl Root (Aesma Daeva, Root of All Evil Radio show, Root Cellar Records) passed away last night. He was my brother and mentor in metal.

Even though he was struggling, he was a fighter and it was hard to hear the news. Even in his final days, I saw pictures of him smiling and laughing and surrounded by friends.

What do you say about a man who's heart is pure gold?

His band played in NYC not too long ago (even though his Dr's told him not to tour.) I didn't have enough gas or cash to make it down to New Haven to take the train... He offered to lend me some money so I could make it down to see him. And it breaks my heart that I literally couldn't afford to say goodbye.

He came to my going away party and said to me, "You'll be missed. You were a huge influence in this scene. I wish you didn't have to go... maybe we should kidnap you." Those words made me cry. I've always looked up to Earl, always admired him. He was strong and determined and truly loved by all.

Earl always had a smile and a hug for everyone. Every time I saw Earl, he was truly happy to see me too. I've never heard a bad word about him from anyone, nor have I ever heard Earl speak badly about any one else. When ever I went out to shows, Earl was always there. He was a true kind spirit.

He passed around 11:30 central time. Oddly enough, last night in my sleep I had a huge coughing fit and when I awoke, my mouth was filled with vomit. I looked at the clock and it read 12:29 (11:29 central time). I have no doubt that others will have similar stories. And no doubt that he'll be back to visit us. He'll be felt at shows and concerts and where ever a large group of his friends are gathered.

From what I was told he was surrounded by friends and family last night and held on until they left to pass. Perhaps it was his final test of strenght.

Earl- I've always loved and admired you. Not just for what you've done musically, but also personally. You were an amazing person and one day I can be lucky enough to follow in your lead to becoming a truly phenomenal person.

I bet a million dollars he's walking around the after life looking for Randy Rhoads, Dimebag and Criss Oliva trying to start a band.

Have a safe journey, visit often, but if you decide to stay and rest a while, watch over us and know that you will never be forgotten. I love you.

I only wish I would have had the chance to say goodbye...

A tribute to Earl.

No comments: