6.10.2009

The house of dreams into the house of nightmares.

I've been looking at getting out of my white trash neighborhood for a while now.... and after the bullshit my neighbors pulled a couple of nights ago, I'm done.

When we first started looking at houses, I found one that was awesome. It was built in the late 1800's and added on in 1930's. Well kept, move in ready, beautiful. We worked on the deal, but the seller was being a total asshole about it. We asked them to leave the washer/dryer and they argued with us about $1000 for them. I told them to shove the $1000...

Anyway, the Friday before memorial day, we were sending the ernest money and I talked with the real estate agent and there were no other offers. Feeling secure, we went about the weekend.

Tuesday I got a call from my mom and we lost the house. Someone had come in and looked at the house on Sunday and by Monday they had put in their offer and earnest money. I was shocked. We had an agreement. Not happy, I called our real estate agent and asked what happened. Apparently it was a "good ol' boys club" thing. And the reason the seller was jerking us around was because of the person hemming and hawing about wanting to buy the house. If they planned on selling it to her, they shouldn't have put it on the market. The girl that bought the house was the daughter of the guy that did all the work on it. The priced it low so she could buy it, not for the average market. Douche waffles.

Last night we looked at and fell in love with another house. It was a gorgeous 3 bed, 2 bath with massive rooms and the price was right. It's out of the neighborhood I'm in and it had the coolest bathroom I've ever seen.... The repair work was minimal. Repair the two hardwood floors in the upstairs bedrooms, spackle the cracks in the roof, trim some of the windows and doors, and do a nice cleaning of all the cobwebs in the house.

So I discussed it with my folks and my mom suggested that I call the police department to see if I can get information on that area as it is still close to where I live. We drove around the area and it seemed to be a nice neighborhood.

Today I did a search for the address and it turns out that there was a shooting (an near murder) and an attempted sexual assult in that house. Ugh. I won't get into details, but the owner of the house had a drinking buddy who worked with one of the roommates living there. Drinking buddy was fired for drinking too much, got pissed and tried to shoot coworker and rape the other roommate just because, well he was drunk and she was there.

It sounds like he was there hanging out with Owner of said house and then lost it.

Now, houses and apartments and such have violence in almost every neighborhood. However, I'm trying to get out of it, not right in the pit of it. The guy was sentenced to 25 years in prision, however, I'm concerned that if he gets out early for good behavior, would he come to the house looking for the people that put him in jail? Considering the temper, I bet he would.

I don't know if I could put a restraining order on the house, or if there is anything I could do to protect us should we stay there... Or is it even worth worrying about all the time. Or if I'm worrying unnecessarly.

I'd like to go back to the house and check it out by myself sometime. Leave the kiddo at home and leave the agent at the door. I didn't see any woman's things in the house, and the main bedroom smelled "man"...

But all that happened there certianly explained the new carpeting through out the entire house. Is new carpet worth my piece of mind though?

Sometimes I hate my googling abilities.

-MetalRose

No comments: