6.16.2009

Born Free

When I started my new job just over a year ago, I had bright red hair that was half way down my back. During the interview I wore a wig.

Since I was hired wearing a wig, I've been wearing it every day since. Mostly because this is a small company and I see both the CEO and the SVP and other upper level managment on a daily basis. They all know that I wear a wig to cover my odd colored hair, but all understand I do it to show that I can look like I belong.

Now most people who've worn wigs are those have worn them only at Halloween. Those are poorly made and itchy and I wouldn't be able to wear them all day. Most of the time it's like wearing a hat. Granted there are days it bothers the day lights out of me... But most times it's so much easier to never have a bad hair day... and if I didn't get a chance to wash my hair on Monday after a weekend of not washing it, well no one would be the wiser. Just throw the wig on.

Sunday night I re-did my hair to a burgandy.* A "normal" color. Normally I shy away from doing that but because my hair was horribly faded and looked like shit, I had to re-do it. I could've gone green like I planned, but with my sisters up comming wedding... It made more sense to do a natural shade and then play with it in a few weeks when I get back home.

Monday, I came into work wigless. My co-workers about dropped their coffee. The reaction was great and I've gotten a lot of compliments on my hair color.

It just feels really odd to be at work with out a wig. I feel almost naked and my head feels very light. It's just odd.

Morning duties, shower, get dressed, put hair in a pony tail, put on wig cap, put on make up, brush teeth, put on wig, pin in place, leave. Now, it's shower, get dressed, put on make up brush teeth leave. Not that putting on the wig takes a long time, but it does take about 5-10 minutes.

I kind of like not having my fake hair on... but I think I like coloring it more.

-Metal

*Yes, I do color my own hair and have for the last 4 years or so. To get the color I have I used 5RV and a 7IR, I mixed 1/3 5RV with 2/3 7IR with a 20 developer.

No comments: