12.09.2008

Chains, Flames and Automobiles Part II.

So my new foreign friend let me stand up against the rails along with Joey Sky. I kept asking R if she wanted to get closer, but she declined.

The three of us talked for a while about music. I asked our new friend if Gojira was as good live as they were on the album. His perfect teeth let one word escape, "Better." I hardly believed him as Gojira had very intricate guitar compositions.

Shortly after a few minutes of chatting, the lights went down and the first band went on. I had no idea who they were. I knew is that All That Remains had dropped off the tour, but didn't know who had replaced them. I was kind of looking forward to seeing them, but hearing they dropped off wasn't the end of the world.

I held my hand out to Joey Sky and gave him a thumbs up, a thumbs down or a thumbs in the middle sign. He looked at me shook his head and gave me a thumbs down sign. I agreed. R looked over at me and asked, "Who's playing?" I shrugged my shoulders and told her I didn't know. I asked our exotic friend behind us and he too shrugged his shoulders.

After their set ended the place cheered for them. My group decided they were horrible, flat and very generic. The only saving grace was the last song which was the best... but none of us had any intensions of running out and finding their music. My ten year old son even turned to me at one point and asked, "Who in the world would mosh to this crap? Don't they know what real music is?"

Up next was 36 Crazyfists. I can't say their music ever caught my attention, at least not in the right way. Our new friend said that the drummer always tests his own gear and motioned to the drummer on stage covered in a hoodie. While their music bored me, at least I got a chance to look at the crowd. During the middle of the set they asked if anyone knew who Killswitch Engage was and for the next song Howard Jones joined the 'Fists on stage. Aside from ProgPower (which is a truly unique festival on its own) I have not seen a concert like that in years. The entire show was packed wall to wall to wall.

I watched the crowd sway from one side to the other in a frenzied mosh pit. The cyclone in the middle of the floor swelled with guys as the perimeter of the oval shrank and grew with each song. The rules of the pit were followed. I saw kids being knocked down and others grabbing onto them and helping them right back up.

I saw the signs of "up" and saw person after person being hoisted in the air. The crowd moved as a chaotic one. Fists pumped in the air in unison. For the lack of talent for their music, at least they knew how to put on a good show.

Up next: The Band I had been waiting for: Gojira. They took the stage late and just before they walked up on the raised floor, I saw their set list. I was beyond happy. It was a mix of old and new songs. I couldn't control the movement of my neck. It started to rock faster and faster on its base. Before I knew it my neon red hair was flying in every direction. Even more young kids were raised onto the arms of the sardine people on the floor.

Fists pumped and hands clapped in unison for the French Metal Band Gojira. I could only watch in amazement as this baguette band amazed me. Their music had that live sound to it, but the songs were flawless. They announced it was their last song and I almost cried. I looked at the set list and saw my favorite song To Sirus. I knew they'd be back for an encore. They thanked the crowd and started off stage. I played along for a minute, and my heart sank as the roadies came out to tear down their gear. I guess I wasn't going to hear the one song I wanted to hear.

-MetalRose

No comments: